May 6, 2010

The Slipcovered Chair

A few weeks ago, when my mom was here, we went to a family fun day at my aunt's house. Loosely translated a family fun day means eat until you have to undo the button on your pants. Then the real fun starts.

While we were there my aunt was telling me about some furniture that they had recently acquired but really did not have room for. My Spidey sense began to tingle. I asked if I could see the furniture.
It is a really great chair, it belonged to my uncle's parents. It is old, but in great shape. I decided a slipcover was in order. And, it just so happened that my mom was in town to help. Help, loosely translated means she did all of the work while I made her coffee and cracked bad jokes.

I wanted a fabric that was easy to work with and versatile so that I could move the chair from room to room should I decide to change things up. I decided on a white cotton duck. I paid $3.99/yd for it and bought 8 yards. (I had a 50% off coupon. The original price was $7.99)

My mom is a talented seamstress. She came up with the idea to add the piping. It would give the cover a more polished look she told me. As usual, she was right.

Picture time! Say, "Sweat shop!" Isn't my mother just beautiful? I am a lucky girl to have such great genes in my family.


The finished product. I just love it! My sister was simply aghast that I would put a white chair in my living room. I am not worried. It is slipcover after all, and meant to be washed. Throwing a slipcover into the washing machine is a lot easier than throwing a chair into the washing machine.


The next piece of furniture to be slipcovered is my couch. I am going to use a print. Lord, help me.

1 comment:

Alaina said...

I love your chair, is you mom available? Tell your sister white is GREAT just throw it in the wash. Hi I am Alaina and I wandered over from Chit Chat. You are FUNNY and I am going to come back and read when my little one is taking a nap. Have a great day.