August 13, 2010

The joys of boys

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling as if I never slept a wink. Don't you just hate that? My poor husband is suffering from a nasty sinus infection which means I am suffering by proxy- the only difference being he gets to ingest the codeine spiked medicine, I don't. I mean...I could, but it seems naughty. I know that he is really sick because he is not giving me the play-by-play of his symptoms. He gets into the bed and does not come out except to get more medicine and tissues.

I teach an early yoga class on Thursdays so I had to be up. It is entirely possible for a person to be walking around, giving the appearance of being awake and fully present, when in reality they are still asleep in their comfy bed in their mind. I believe the word I am looking for is zombie. Yes, I was a zombie yesterday.

After teaching I did feel more awake, and when I arrived back home I was ready to face the day. I cleaned the family room until it sparkled finer than frog hair, did a few loads of laundry and cleaned the kitchen.

It was then that I noticed Joe, playing all by himself. He had found dice under the couch and he came to ask me what game it belonged to. I told him that I was not sure, but he could check to see which box it was missing from. He scampered off and I heard the closet door open.

"Mommy?" he called from the living room, "Can I play the game with the pieces that pop out at you when you set the timer?"

"Perfection?" I asked.

"YES!" he said, giggling.

I asked him if I could play with him and he told me that I could, but he had to set the game up first. Oh, what fun we had! We successfully placed all of the shapes into their compartments and had time to spare, so we counted down the seconds, anticipating the POP! of the board and its pieces. We laughed and high-fived each other like dorks.

He looked at me and said, "I love spending time with you." Anything after that is a blur because my heart exploded into a million little pieces and I died from a love overdose. So much love have I for this boy.

We had a treat last night, too. My mother took the boys out to dinner and so Kevin and I were able to go out all by ourselves. It was bliss. I didn't have to take him to the bathroom just as my food arrived and I did not have to cut up his food. It's the little things that I appreciate.

We ate way too much and had wonderful, uninterrupted conversation. We went to Dick's Sporting Goods where I bought a new pair of running shoes. I am happy. So are my knees. We went to that mall and bopped around a bit, but we both really just wanted to go home. Cue the dilemma- the kids did not want us to come home. Right before we left to go to dinner Jeremy asked, "Are you coming home right after you are done eating?" We told him we were not sure. He told us to stay out, that they wanted to be alone with grandma. In fact, grandma wanted us to stay out, too.

We stayed out as long as we could, but coffee and the couch beckoned. We decided to call home to see if it was alright if we come back. Jeremy answered the phone.

"It's mom, can we come back home?"

"Uhhh, no. We're watching a movie with grandma."

"Please, you won't even know we are there."

"No."

At this point I am laughing. "Jeremy, honey, we want coffee, and we don't have anything else to do."

"Alright. But you have to stay upstairs."

Apparently their father and I are kill joys and are not welcome at their chocolate chip cookie/twizzler/movie party. Just wait until they want breakfast, or have no clean underwear, then I will be numero uno once again.

No comments: