September 27, 2010

Filling the soul, emptying the nose

On Saturday I went to a homeschool mom's fellowship luncheon. I always sign-up for them, but then change my mind at the last minute and stay home. I don't know why I do that. This weekend I admit, I was tempted to stay home and linger in my warm, cozy bed. Kevin had the younger boys at a track meet, so the house was uncommonly quiet. It had the makings of a perfectly wonderful quiet time.

But. I went to the mom's fellowship because I spend too much time alone. Kevin commented to me a few weeks ago that I need some friends to talk to. Now, I do have friends, I have people that I can confide in and share my struggles with, I just don't do it. I subscribe to the I am a rock, I am an island philosophy of life. And you know what? It is unhealthy to do that.

I am prideful, and I don't want to show my weakness.

So I went on Saturday, and I had a wonderful time. The luncheon was scheduled from 10 am- 2 pm. At first I thought, What in the world are we going to do for 4 hours and how badly am I going to want to escape? But after 4 hours had gone by I thought, I wish we had more time together. When the fellowship is real and sweet, it is hard to leave.

***************

I am in the last stages of a cold. The lingering kind that lingers. Annoying. My oldest got the same cold, and we have been consuming tissues like oxygen. Our supply was quickly depleted so I ran out to the store to purchase a few boxes. I went the cheap route. The tissues that I bought are the equivalent of contractor grade sand paper. We need skin grafts to replace what has been worn away from the tips of our noses.

I wish that I was not so cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I am reluctant to do stuff like that too.

Your cheap? The only time we buy tissue around here for the nose is when grandma comes. The rest of the time it is good old TP.