May 23, 2011

It is very important that I did not kill this plant

Yesterday I was grumbling to my husband about the price of food, specifically fresh produce.

"On the one hand," I began "We can purchase fresh fruits and vegetables, or on the other hand we can purchase meat, but we can't have both. It is quite possible that by fall we could all be suffering from scurvy, or beriberi." Kevin, completely used to my love of exaggeration, said nothing.

"I think that we should start a garden. We can grow strawberries and peppers and maybe plant an orange tree."

For the next part of the story to make any sense you have to have seen the movie 28 Days with Sandra Bullock. In the movie there is a scene where the addicts in the rehab ask the counselor when they can begin to date again. The counselor, played by the always wonderful Steve Buscemi says, "Get a plant. If the plant is still alive in a year, get a dog. If they are both alive in another year, you can begin to think about dating."

At this point in the conversation Kevin turns to me with extended arms and says, "Here is a plant, keep it alive for a year and then we can think about a garden."

I knew what that meant. I don't have a reputation as the plant killer for nothing.

No comments: