June 7, 2011

Swing low, sweet Craig's List find

Saturday night I was perusing Craig's List and what to my wondering eyes did appear? A patio swing, brand new in the box, for $40 clams! Hoping that it was a legitimate posting, I e-mailed the seller.

Dear Swing Seller,
I am very interested in the swing and if you still have it, I would like to come and pick it up tomorrow around 12:30pm.

Thank-you,
Laney
(732) 867-5309

I clicked away from my e-mail and went back to Craig's List. Can I just ask- what is the deal with selling used commodes on Craig's List? I mean, I get it, they have most likely been cleaned, but still. Shudder. And the people who give away opened boxes of non-perishable food items? Gag.

Anyhoodle.

A little while later I checked my e-mail and lo and behold, a response from the swing seller.

Dear Laney,
Wow, I didn't realize how many people would be interested in the swing so fast. I seemed to gravitate towards you though, so sure, if you can meet tomorrow afternoon, this is yours. Let me know what time is good for you.

Thanks,
Swing seller lady

She gravitated toward me! I yelled up to Kevin, "I got the swing! I rule at Craig's List!"

I told him that she gravitated toward me because I used capital letters, punctuation and my e-mail address didn't have the any lewd references to pleasing your man. These are probably the responses that she received.

i want the swingggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it still avaiable

give me your bank routing number and i will direct deposit the money

I know because I have been on the receiving end of the exact responses. People on Craig's List are wacky.

So I picked it up on Sunday, from an adorable little Filipino lady, and drove happily home. Yesterday Jeremy and I put it together. When we opened the box and saw all of the pieces Jeremy said to me, "Maybe you should wait for dad."

I looked him square in the eye and said, "Boy, I gave birth 3 times with no pain medication, a patio swing is not going to get the best of me."

He didn't say it because he is too kind and respectful, but the look on his face was conveying this thought, "Whatever, crazy lady."

We got down to bidness and we kicked that swing's butt. We were like a well oiled machine, working together toward a common goal. Joe was there with us. There was really nothing he could do to help, he was just moral support.

"Good job, mommy!"

"Jeremy, your piece is over there."

He was cute and funny and appreciated company.

John went inside to "go to the bathroom." That seems to be the go to excuse for kids that have no desire to assist in the assembly of patio swings. We decided that if you did not help with the swing assembly, you did not get to use the swing. Fair is fair.

Unfortunately we put in the swing in the most ghetto looking part of our backyard. Don't judge me.

I admit it was with trepidation that I first sat in the swing, but it held all three of us and the springs were not screaming for mercy, so I think any danger is past.

No comments: