March 14, 2005

Catching Up

The past few days have been a whirlwind of activity! Yesterday we had a wonderful family day. The weather was beautiful, Kevin pitched to the kids outside and the house smelled of Chili. During dinner John said,"These are the best dinners, when we all laugh." You are right, sweetie!

Today we had our co-op and it was a lot of fun. This was our first day back since December as skiing took the place of co-op for six weeks. We were kind of sad not to ski today and I was thankful co-op was taking place so the boys could see their friends and I could see some people over 46 inches! The boys have their lesson time with the mom scheduled to teach that week and I am in the nursery with the other moms with bambinos. The last hour is supposed to be spent playing organized games and that happens for about 20 minutes and then utter chaos ensues. Not really, but the kids do become, umm, energized! (For lack of a better word!) My boys really enjoy the company of this other boy named Andrew. Andrew and the boys like to engage in what looks like rough play. I am used to this and so is Andrew's mom, so to us it is no big deal. Today, however, was a different story. There was a new mom there and I guess she thought the boys were really hurting each other and she went over to John, took his arm and told him he needed to calm down. There are few things in this world that I would consider to be more white trash then brawling with another homeschool mom at co-op, so I took a deep breath and tried to let it go. I don't think I actually exhaled so perhaps it was my red face that caught this woman's attention and caused her to ask me, "Are those your children?" I gave her the one word, "Yes." And she chuckled and said,"They were getting really rough." So I chuckled and said, "Next time please talk to me before reprimanding my son." She did not chuckle at this point but simply walked away. I wanted to hit her in the ankles with my stroller, but I refrained. Aside from that little incident, everything else was great.

I caught up with some of the moms who came to see the Lizard Guys at our house in January and they want me to do it again next year. I told them we would definitely do it again! I am going to be even busier in the coming weeks because I am organizing a Science Fair. My boys are thrilled at the idea of this and have already planned their projects. I am very excited about doing this and have gotten many responses from others in our Home Education Group who want to participate. It promises to be a great learning experience and I can't wait to see their ideas materialize. They are both so creative and artistic!! I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Randi said...

Hi!

Co-op can be so fun, but also a little exsasperating! Ours is tomorrow and we are already winding down for the year because of a few "personality clashes." I think we will continue until April and then move on to park days-in August we will decide whether or not to regroup.

I love co-ops, mostly for the fellowship time, so I am sure we will do it again in some form or another.

I will add your blog to my sidebar ASAP-I am going to make some changes to my blog soon and will add you then!

Have a great day!

CarolynM said...

I completely identify with your reaction to the mom who stopped your son from rough-housing. I experienced the same thing many times -- usually from new-to-the-group moms of prissy little girls who just did NOT understand boys' need for physical exertion as an expression of friendship. That stroller-to-the-ankles move would have been a classic! LOL