August 20, 2006

Sunday, Funday

I woke up this morning to Joe's Iwantmybinkygetitmommy, mantra. Nothing says good morning and how d'ya do like stumbling down the hall, crawling around on your hands and knees under the crib only to find that the binky is.In.His.Hand.

Kevin had to leave for church this morning at 8:15 to start his new "job" at the sound board. About a month ago we had a concert at the church and Kevin went to help with the sound. Our pastor asked him to consider helping out on the sound board permanently because of Kevin's awesome knob turning skills. Yuk-yuk. Actually, he really does have a great ear for sound and our pastor, being a great musician, clearly saw just how valuable Kevin could be. Our pastor asked him if he had any sound experience and Kevin told him, No, he had just been to a lot of concerts. he-he

So he left and the boys and I prepared to meet him at 10 a.m. After church we were scheduled to attend our pastor's youngest son's birthday party which was being held at the country club that is located in our neighborhood. We don't belong to the country club because we don't play golf and our names are not Muffy and Biff. Seriously, it's $3,000 to join and $250 per month. Add that up and you get...uh,...5...carry the 2...oh, forget it, it's too late for math. Let's just say that it's way more than we can afford.

(Just as an aside, my pastor doesn't belong to the country club either, a friend of theirs does and she got them use of the pool.)

We had so much fun at the pool! Joe is turning into a fish, I believe he may have sprouted a fin. John and Jeremy jumped in the pool the minute we arrived and we didn't see hide nor hair of them until it was time for cupcakes.

I love being with the people from my church. It sounds so cliche but they have truly welcomed us in with southern hospitality. It's more than southern hospitality, it's genuine love and friendship and we are very blessed.

Unfortunately the birthday boy barfed, right next to the pool. The poor thing. One minute you're happily turning 7 and the next minute your barfing on cement with 30 of your family and friends gathered 'round exclaiming, "Ohhhh! Don't puke in the pool! A little to the left next time!" We cleaned it up and the birthday boy was fine. He was so fine, in fact, that he began to tell the other boys exactly *what* the threw up and *how* it tasted as they, in perfect chorus exclaimed, Ewwww! At that point I felt as if I was going to barf. *shudder*

When the thunder started, the party broke up. Either that or no one wanted to swim in the Pool 'O Puke, it's hard to tell. Thunder is always great at pool parties because the lifeguards then have the responsibility of making the kids get out of the pool. I was thinking that I should just get myself a soundtrack of a thunder storm and a whistle. I could play the thunder, blow my whistle and yell, "It's thundering, everyone clean your rooms." or, "I hear thunder, that means everyone set the table for dinner." It's worth a try.

We took the boys to Ruby Tuesday for dinner, they love going out to eat. We had such lovely conversations with them tonight it made me wish that we could eat at Ruby Tuesday's every night. Kevin was telling us about when he was in Bible college and someone left him a 20 dollar bill with the scripture, "Your Heavenly Father knows what you have need of before you ask."

This reminded me of all the times when I was in college and low on cash that my dad would tape a 10 dollar bill to my steering wheel with a little note that said, Get gas on me. Love, Daddy. Or two twenties and a note, "You need to get an oil change. Love, Daddy. It made me feel so taken care of, so looked after and thought of, I loved those notes.

As I was telling John and Jeremy, they looked at each other and giggled. John said, "Mommy, will you do that for me when I'm in college." I told him that I would love to. He thought for a minute and said, "Maybe you could make it two tens so I can get a sub." We laughed and laughed.

It's days like today that make me want to get up tomorrow and do it all over again.

Look to the finish!

2 comments:

CMB said...

That was so sweet - aside from the puke, of course. I was very depressed this morning coming in to work, but I am much better now having read your post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!