August 10, 2010

Vacation Wrap-up

Well, hello.

We returned home from vacation Saturday night. We were camping for a week up at Roger's Rock Campsite located on the beautiful Lake George. There is no cell phone reception, and there is certainly no Internet service, so I was completely AWOL from the intrawebz. It was wonderful.

As we were driving up the mountain on Saturday morning, I was watching the temperature gauge on my rear view mirror. It kept going down. Not a good sign when you plan on bunking in a tent and your sleeping bag is just inches from the cold ground. When we arrived at the camp ground it was 65 degrees which for all intents and purposes is a comfortable temperature, but in the woods it feels colder. As it turned out the temperature would drop that night into the low 40's. I was fah-reezing. And I did not sleep well because I was afraid that my boys were fah-reezing, so I kept waking up. Plus, when it gets cold like that, the air in the mattress begins to decrease creating a hammock like effect wherein my husband and I kept sliding into the center. It was like we were sleeping in a giant taco shell only without the salsa.

We woke up on Sunday morning to what would be a beautiful day. So beautiful in fact that we headed to the lake in town and had a rousing game of wiffle ball. There is a lake on the campground, but there are some issues, the rules are quite stringent. You can't use masks, snorkels, or play ball in the water. You can only use Coast Guard approved floatation devices, and we all know what fun it is to swim in a life jacket. And, the C.G. approved ones have the strap that goes from the back of the jacket, between the swimmers legs, and snaps in the front. When you have boys, things end up getting smooshed. There are a whole host of other rules, too, basically- YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING RESEMBLING FUN!

My boys do not use life jackets, but they do like to float on a raft every once in a while, so we head to the Hague beach where the only rule is HAVE FUN! - just don't throw sand.

One of the best aspects of our family vacation is the cousins. The older boys on the left are so good to the younger kids. They play ball with them, swim with them, take them out on the jet skis, bring them fishing, hunt for craw-dads, and just speak to them like they are on equals. I love the older boys.

That's my baby up there, getting ready to drive that ball out of the park.

He is adorable, but he runs like that lady on Seinfeld who never swings her arms.

Up next is Jeremy. He knocks it out of the park.

The Hague beach in all of its glory.

I did not want to leave the woods at all this year. I was content to live there for the rest of my life, it possible. I am like Henry David Thoreau.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Tune in tomorrow to see the scenery from the 8 mile route that I ran almost everyday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never in my life ever, ever, hearing of a lake having ANY rules never mind the kind you described. Maybe a pool, but never a lake...who would even go?

Laney said...

It's crazy, right?

Here is a link, in cases anyone thinks that I am exaggerating.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7817.html

Also, the "athletic games" applies to the beach.

Alaina said...

In answer to Berries, Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada has rules, no jet skis, a motor boat can only go so fast and be on the lake at certain times. I would have done the same thing as Laney.

In answer to your question Laney, the shelf was blue while in my son's room but I painted it black, and that is how it will stay. Hopefully someone else will like it too and buy it at the flea. I actually have several pieces in my home that are painted black. I really highlight them in the fall, and Halloween.