June 30, 2011

Summer thrills

Yesterday we took the boys to Six Flags Great Adventure. We do this every year. The boys wanted me to ride the big coasters with them, and I went along hesitantly. I am way too old to be riding roller coasters. Granted, I don't suffer from the list of maladies that they post on the warning signs as you enter the ride, but I suffer none the less. Those rides wreak havoc on the central nervous system. I truly believed that I was suffering from a brain bleed after getting off of El Toro. I had to literally force myself to walk.

"You can do it."

"That's it. One foot in front of the other."

Who knew that putting one foot in front of the other could be so difficult. I felt Lindsey Wixsons pain.

The boys had a blast and thought that my screaming was hilarious. I tried to explain to them that I was not screaming from an exhilarating adenaline rush, no. I was screaming because it was excruciatingly awful. The ride so set me off of my keister that I was bordering on sick for the rest of the day. The thing that really did me in? The rotating and revolving, while 40 feet up, hot air balloons in the Loony Tunes park. That's me, hard core all the way.

Kevin took the boys on the park's newset ride The Green Lantern. I opted out with Joe and we made a cotton candy run. I really wanted another funnel cake, but at almost $10 a pop went for the cheaper air sugar. Yes, we paid almost $20 for two funnel cakes. (If anyone from Six Flags corporate is reading this entry please know that we were extremely displeased with the prices in the park. We paid to enter, and to park. Is it really necessary to charge exhorbinant amounts of money for water and funnel cake? And. AND! Don't even get me started on the bag restrictions and forcing us to purchase locker space for the offending bags. Seriously Six Flags? Family fun? I think not. Family extortion is more apropos.)

I sound bitter, but really we had an amazing day of fun and laughter. And it only cost us $300.

So today we are recovering and letting our brains settle back into their rightful places.

No comments: